Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tips and Tricks–Joseph’s Coat

Welcome to Tips and Tricks Thursday! Today I’m going back to my “stamping roots” and pulling out a technique that I learned during my first year of stamping!

The technique I’m showing today is Joseph’s Coat (so named after Joseph’s Coat of Many Colors) and I’m using a stamp from Rustic Tiles which is our featured set for November! This set is on sale all month for $12.49!

Start off by rounding up your supplies. Normally for this technique you would use a spectrum pad and black ink, but I’m giving it a twist and instead am using two different blue inks.

  • Ink Pads
  • VersaMark
  • Embossing buddy (optional)
  • Clear embossing powder
  • Brayer
  • Your favorite SSD stamp!

The first step is to take the lighter color ink (or spectrum pad) and completely cover your cardstock with a brayer. At this point you can let it dry and use an embossing buddy to help with the next step.

Next, stamp your image onto the cardstock with the VersaMark ink pad. It is hard to see at first, but by tilting it up to the light you can see where you’ve stamped and add images as needed.

Once it’s stamped to your satisfaction, sprinkle clear embossing powder over and then shake off the excess.

After the powder is off you’ll see the images you’ve stamped.

Heat up the embossed images and then…..

Use the brayer to cover the full sheet with the darker ink. This will make the embossed images pop off the page in the lighter color!

To finish off my card I’ve added some ribbon and mounted it to a blue card base. The ribbon came from Creative Impressions, a fabulous embellishment company with everything from mini paperclips and tiny clothes pins to luscious ribbon treatments. All of the team creations will be using something from Creative Impressions each week!

IMG_6340

Here’s a close up of the embossed images and that luscious ribbon! I think one of my favorite things to do is to look at a stamp set and to see if there are additional possibilities with a stamp set. Rustic Tiles has some great square shapes, but there is also a shape that looks like a snowflake! I left a sentiment off, but you could easily add several sentiments to this for a great winter wishes card!

1 comment:

jo (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

Awesome tutorial! I need to try it out! TFS!