Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Happy Birthday and Dogs release!

Hi everyone! Today is not only a release day for Skipping Stones Design, but is also Heather’s birthday!

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!

 

Heather is the owner of SSD and is the illustrator of all the many fabulous stamps we all love to create with! I have had the pleasure of working with Heather on the DT, and as the DT Coordinator this year, and I can honestly say she is one of the sweetest and most generous people I know!

Have you ever met or talked with someone, and after you finish your conversation you walk away feeling like a better person? That’s what Heather does for me! :) She is such a talented illustrator and I know all her work comes from the heart as she creates stunners that I just love stamping with! Heather has a huge heart as shown by the Hop(e) for Haiti with funds being donated to the Red Cross relief, and last Fall a “Blogs for Boobies” fundraiser for the Komen foundation with proceeds from the sales of Cancer Schmancer. Heather is such a dear and I’m sure she’s blushing as she reads this (hehe) but I would love if you could leave her some birthday love and comments on the SSD Blog!

Not only are we celebrating Heather’s birthday, but it’s release day for Dogs Vol #1 and sketch challenge 80! If you just came from Dina's blog, you are in the right place.  If you just happened along my blog today, start at the beginning of the hop at Skipping Stones Design.  The entire hop order is there and you can hop from blog to blog with ease.

Here’s a look at the sketch we’re working with…so fun! Make sure you link up your creations on the SSD blog!

80

I combined this fantastic sketch with the OTWC color combo challenge!

something old ivory peach black inspiration board postcards and prettiesinspirationswatchfathers

For my card I used the shaggy dog and thought these colors worked so well with him, and to give this card a more subdued look due to the theme of the card.

I really wanted to incorporate newspaper, since you know dogs and newspapers ;), but I didn’t have any patterned paper that resembled newspaper. Instead I used real newspaper and loved the look I achieved with it! The sentiment was offset with the little paw print in the set and a couple dog themed brads (one says best friend) helped to balance out the card, provide visual interest and reinstate the dog theme.

 

A little close up of the sentiment, which gives the words that may be hard to say to someone that has lost their “furever” friend. This is such a fun set for you dog lovers! You’ll definitely want to hop on over to Wendy's blog for some more Skipping Stones Design inspiration and see more images from this fantastic set!

12 comments:

Indy said...

Your card is just darling. Love the use of real newspaper! Good work.

Jingle said...

Very sweet! Love the newspaper background!

Lea L. said...

This is super cute, Kandi!! Great job with the colors...they go perfectly with those stamps you've used!!

Crafty Math Chick said...

I think the real newspaper looks GREAT Kandi! A terrific job combining those 2 challenges and a wonderful tribute to Heather as well, she does seem like a totally fabulous and generous Sweetheart!
~Meredith

Tamra said...

LOVE your card Kandi!! The newspaper was such a grand idea...the whole card is just wonderful. Have a wonderful day!

Wendy said...

The one eyed pup is a popular one today. I knew I should have used the Lab. I hope you are well and work is n't working to hard!! Have a good week!!

Tenia Nelson said...

What a wonderful card!!! Thanks for playing at OTWC!!!

skippy stamps said...

Awww thanks so much for what you worte in the post. It did make me blush, and I got a little misty eyed too! Thanks so much for being Such a GREAT friend! You are so so wonderful, and I am so lucky to have you in my life and leading the DT!! Your card is Perfect!!! I LOVE the newspaper ~ very clever!!!

~Tammy~ said...

What a sweet card! This would help someone in such a time of need and cheering! The newspaper is a fabulous touch! Thanks so much for joining us at OTWC! Good Luck!

~amy~ said...

Seriously love this one Kandi!

Barb's Boys Inspired said...

What an awesome job on this card Kandi! Miss seeing your smiling face, we need to get together soon! Hope your little mini vacation was fun!

Jaclyn Miller said...

So perfect for a friend who lost a pet and the neutral colors are perfect for a sympathy card. Thank you so much for playing along at OTWC.