Sunday, May 22, 2011

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico–Day 4.5

Continued from yesterday it’s the remainder of our day on our City Tour of Puerto Vallarta!

As part of our tour we had lunch in a small village. When I say small I mean small! The tour guide said they live a very simple kind of life, but they enjoy it. This little restaurant/café we had lunch at was perfect!

IMG_3134

I love the hanging bananas! After our lunch they told us we could pick one off for our dessert! They have a different type of banana in Mexico, and while I didn’t hate it, I certainly didn’t love it. Weirdly enough it seemed just a little too sweet whereas our bananas have a tart crispness to them.

IMG_3128

One one side of the restaurant I could see these chickens running around…see simple and small, but very cool village!

IMG_3132

IMG_3133

Some pretty flowers hanging around the restaurant.

IMG_3136

Ed and Cammie

IMG_3137

Jake and I

IMG_3138

Chase and Daniel

IMG_3140IMG_3141IMG_3142IMG_3143IMG_3144IMG_3145

More gorgeous flowers around the restaurant.

IMG_3147

IMG_3152

IMG_3153

Cheers and drink! :) There was a guy going around playing songs and it was such a unique experience, loved it!

IMG_3154

Jake, Ed and Daniel had the beef kabobs.

IMG_3155

Chase had the Mahi Mahi (sooo good he let me have a bit and it was delish).

IMG_3156

Cammie and I had the chicken.

IMG_3159

Their sign cracks me up! The OK Corral… ;)

IMG_3162IMG_3163IMG_3168IMG_3169IMG_3170IMG_3171

A couple more flowers we saw, we loved taking pics of all the beautiful flowers!

IMG_3164

These boys were playing soccer (futbol) in the stream and had two sticks for goals posts. It really made me appreciate the simple life!

Our final stop on the tour was to a family run Tequila Distillery. Now, as already evidenced by a lot of photos I enjoy my beverages. ;) However, not a fan of tequila. I was still curious though and when we were told we’d be sampling five different types of tequila I was interested to see what the difference was.

**Let’s consider this next recounting of events a portion in which Kandi was very enlightened and  may or may not recount factual details as told to us by our very fast talking tour guide.

IMG_3174

I had no idea that tequila from Agave plants!! Ahhh! My Mom has a HUGE plant like this in her front yard!

IMG_3175

Rows and rows of agave plants. If I remember correctly (which I did because google helped confirm this fact) it takes at least 8-10 years before an Agave plant can be harvested to make tequila.

IMG_3176

The ends are cut off to make aloe vera, but it is the pina (pineapple in Spanish) that is reserved for making tequila and agave nectar. All the starches and sugars are contained in the center.

IMG_3179

The pina is then burned in a fire pit….

IMG_3180

……and then the fibers are put in this large circle. A donkey is tied to the wheel thing and walks on the outside to pull the wheel and crush the fibers.

IMG_3181

The juices all go down a drain into a separate collection container and the fibers are left out to dry and are used for ropes, etc.

IMG_3187

The juice then ferments and does something else….but I was staring around and missed whatever else he said during this part. oops.

 

Then it goes into the distiller with water, and he said a lot of scientific stuff that basically went over my head about proofs and the first batch is too high in something and they don’t sell that, blah, blah, then something about putting that stuff into barrels for six months or something like that. Jake could probably recite everything this guy said but I wasn’t entirely paying attention at that point. The technical aspect lost me. All I heard was they put it in adn magic happens a short while later. ;)

IMG_3192

So after he told us all this info, and then said you have to be certified to be a tequila distiller and that only person in their family is certified to actually do that part and I felt a little better that I didn’t understand it all. ;) So then came the time for testing. And when he talked about flavored tequilas I kinda perked up!

IMG_3193

Seriously, these three were so good. So good in fact I bought a mini bottle of the almond and chocolate/coffee/vanilla one. The first one we sampled (and teeeeeny tinnny samples) was the mandarin orange one, and you wouldn’t think it would be good, but wow was it ever! The next two were my favorites (as evidenced because I bought them) and he gave good ideas on how to serve them. Like having the chocolate one heated up and served over ice cream, or soaking cakes in the almond one. Oh yes, totally trying those out!

Oh and I realized I lied, we only tried four. The three above and then one of these above…not sure which, but it was their cheaper version that goes into Canadian barrels for six months. That made me cringe for sure. ;) They had us sniff it, and true, it didn’t burn your nose or throat which is a sign of a good tequila (because anything that does burn is never good right?) but I still cringed while drinking it. The higher version they don’t just let you sample, ha.

IMG_3196

And here’s some barrels that I’m not entirely sure if those were the Canadian barrels or not, but still cool.

Then we had to make the looong 2 hour bus ride back to the hotel without any stops. Before we kept stopping which was nice, now it was one long ride back, which, when you have a husband that gets motion sick playing first person/role playing video games, well I guess it was inevitable that he would get car sick. We were in the back of the bus (more room), driving on cobblestones and bumpy dirt roads and with an already pounding headache it wasn’t hard to reason that Jake would get sick. Luckily he waited until we were off the elevator and going to our room to puke over the sixth floor balcony. ;)

IMG_3205

We got back to the room after hoping no one saw Jake’s impressive projectile skills from the balcony (ha) and instead of an animal (pout) we had a seashell looking thing. Still cool, but I was less impressed by their towel folding skills. ;)

We went back to Pepe’s tacos tonight again for dinner. It was supposed to be our night to go out with the exec team, but Phil (our CEO) decided to do a taco eating contest and take everyone to dinner that night! (PS – Daniel is British so when he says taco it comes out tack-ko so now that’s how I hear it when I see the word, ha.) Sad to say I only packed away 11 of those scrumptious tack-kos (ok  not really sad I felt sick later that night from too much food) but as a group we at 582 tacos!!! The two guys that won it ate 36 each, wow! (You’re now hearing tack-ko in your head too, right?)

IMG_3436

Jake and I (maybe one of my favorites from this trip!)

After feeling like I was going to burst, and poor Jake only ate one because he still wasn’t feeling well from his earlier bout of motion sickness, we took a walk down to the beach and the boardwalk.

IMG_3208IMG_3209

Catching one last sunset.

 

IMG_3215IMG_3216

These are the same sand sculptures we saw from the bus earlier today! It was cool to see someone down there spraying the sand sculptures to keep them intact!

IMG_3219

We spotted the Hard Rock and I absolutely HAD to go! We didn’t go into the actual restaurant because we were pressed for time at that point, but I snagged a shirt!

IMG_3224IMG_3225

We boarded up the taxis and headed back to the resort. We hung out for a little bit, but by that point Jake was still sick and I was feeling icky from eating so much so we just walked down to the beach.

Really hard to see I know, but you can see some lights on the right side and the moon high over head. It was so peaceful to walk on the beach hand in hand under the moonlight. I remember thinking I was so lucky that I got to spend  the past four days with my best friend and we had such an amazing time hanging out together. Because at the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about.

IMG_3233

Our last night in Mexico wasn’t spent going to a wild night club or even hanging out at a bar on the resort. It was spent with just the two of us talking and being caught up in the moment. I couldn’t have asked for a better ending for our last night there.

Tomorrow – Day 5 and coming home to our fabulous kiddos!

2 comments:

Orange Blossom Boutique said...

It has been so great seeing your whole trip in pictures. I have really enjoyed this!

I had no idea that a begonia could grow into a tree! I guess in a place it doesn't freeze, it can happen. Totally amazing!

Scrappychick said...

Looks like you have had a total blast! Your pics are amazing Kandi :) And please tell me you are sharing that yummy sounding chocolate tequila!!