Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cousins

Here is another layout created with the April Commit 2 Paper kit! I tried using up every single scrap of paper and every little embellishment to get the most of it it, and I think you'll see that today!

I wanted to maximize what scraps I'd have left over to work with, so I did some careful planning when I was working on this page. I knew I wanted to have two decorative paper layers, and I decided to cut out the center portion that wouldn't show.

I arranged my photos and then using an exacto knife, made marks as to where I could cut without it showing through. This is the layer the photos will go on.

Next, I layered this piece onto the main patterned paper piece, did the same steps, and finally adhered both "frames" to a 12x12 white cardstock base. This gave structure to my otherwise flimsy patterned papers, and also provided a base to add my photos to. Plus, I got huge chunks of patterned paper that really would have been wasted!


Here's the completed layout. And see...you would never know I cut out the centers of those pieces! Its not something I do all the time, but if you have the time, and want to save some of your paper, its a great way to really get more bang for your buck!




These are another set of pictures that I really had no clue what to do with. Seeing all the Phillips kids together (our two and Jake's brothers 3 girls - minus the cute Sydney!) with these fun browns made me focus in on their family trait - the brown eyes! People always comment on Gwyn and Brady's eyes, about how pretty and dark they are. Sure enough, all the Phillips kids have em! ;)

The journaling reads:

It's easy to see they're all related, but the feature I love most about the Phillips kids are their eyes. Dad and Uncle Dustin have those same gorgeous, deep brown eyes, inherited from Grandma Deb, but seeing all the kids together nearly takes my breath away. They hold me captivated and completely mesmerized. July 08


Here is a close up of the fun group of circles I put together with some of the paper scraps! See, still using up scraps! I added brads to three of the circles just to make them pop a little more. Also, notice the journaling square? I used another punch to create a paper flower, and then layered some chipboard accents over that. Still making those scraps go a long way! ;)

Plus this fits in with challenge #20 - Use a grid as the basis for a page design from the book 52 More Scrapbooking Challenges by Liz Kartchner. (More on this later *winkwink*) Well, ok it kind of goes with that challenge, but I am counting it since the rest of the layout is pretty grid like, too!




Supplies
All supplies came from the April C2P kit unless otherwise noted

{Cousins}
April Commit 2 Paper kit
Misc: 1 1/4 in circle punch, SU Kraft and Chocolate Chip CS, Zig marker, 5 petal flower punch

2 comments:

kT said...

ah! so cute :)

i might have to steal part of this one.

Barb's Boys said...

Way to maximize your stash! I love it, can't wait to see what you do with the next month's collection.