Wednesday, March 3, 2010

JB #27 - Creative Cards

True Confession time...I have never used the "Card" feature on ANY of my Cricut cartridges. You would think that being a cardmaker I'd be taking full advantage of this right? I guess I never really looked at my options or thought about making a card from one of the die cuts.

Well thank goodness for the Just Buggin challenge this week then!!! I finally used this feature, and I'm totally itching to try it out again!

Challenge 27 - Creative Cards - Use the card feature on a cartridge of your choice. Many cartridges have a card feature.

So being that I'd never used this feature I wasn't sure even which of my cartridges HAD that feature, lol!! I started skimming through my books and saw that Locker Talk had it, and had a ton of cute options! I picked out a few that looked promising, but was instantly sold when I saw the pencil and thought of a fun stamp sentiment I have. Easy as pie I had an idea, but it took a little bit of time to get it just right!

I used my Gypsy to make the card 4x8 so that when folded up it was a 4x4. Then came the hard part of figuring out how big to make the pencil pieces so that it would fit perfectly on this little card. A few tests and I had it! On the Gypsy I put the Width as 2.90. I can't remember what the height was exactly, but because the width and height are linked it just cut perfectly. You could also do this in Design Studio I imagine. I have DS but find I'm always reaching for my Gypsy first even though my computer is in this same room, haha! Portable and convenient I guess wins me over. ;)

Just a tip - I always cut out stuff in white cardstock first if I am unsure of the size. That way I'm not using up my special cardstock for shapes I probably won't use, and the kids can get my white shapes to color on! See, its a win win for everyone! ;) I inked the edges of the eraser, pencil and blush tip to add some detail.



To dress up my card front I stamped these fun lines from Blocks and Borders - Swirls from Skipping Stones Design (before adding the pencil pieces). It added just the right amount of interest and contrast! I tied my bow just above the stamped lines, and added the sentiment. It was cut out with the Modern Label punch and attached with a mini clip from SU.

So what do you think, you wanna try out this challenge?! Stop by the Just Buggin blog to see more of our Design Teams work and link up your "Creative Card"! I can't wait to see it!



Supplies
CS:
Brocade Blue, So Saffron, Blush Blossom, Pretty in Pink, Basic Black, Silver
Ink: Brocade Blue, Basic Black, So Saffron, Blush Blossom, Pretty in Pink
Stamp: Blocks and Borders - Swirls from Skipping Stones Design, Sweet Little Sentiments - SU
Misc: Brocade blue ribbon, mini library clip, Modern Label Punch, Locker Talk Cartridge, Cricut

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Very cute!! I like the big pencil!!
Lynne JB DT

JustCrazy4Scrapen said...

Kandi,

Awesome card. I had no idea locker talk had a creative card feature.

I love your card.

Lisa

Hope said...

Love it Kandi! I love all the details with the ribbon and the stamp strips at the bottom!!

Awesome job on this week's challenge!

Mindy (Scrappy and Piggy) said...

this is adorable!!! I love the stamping on the bottom looks like paper.