Friday, January 15, 2010

Create It Green January Sketch

Today is the first official Design Team reveal for Create It Green! Be sure to take a look at the blog and the DT projects for both cards and layouts, and altered items! Every month on the 15th we'll have a large group post, and inbetween you might see some other fab projects using recycled or repurposed items! ;)

The purpose behind CIG is to use the 3 R's - reduce, reuse and recycle (and close the loop! do you remember that jingle from years ago?!) items on your cards, layouts or altered item projects. I thought at first this might be a little hard, but really, inspiration is right at your fingertips if you look for it!

During December when my online purchases were showing up (for two very spoiled kids btw), I was getting a lot of brown paper packaging inside my boxes. I immediately stored that away because I knew it would be perfect for some "boyish" scrapbook pages!


Here's the sketch the layout team was challenged with created by Deanne Burton.



And here is my layout with some detail shots below! As you can see I used that brown paper packaging as my base, but I layered my photo with some cardstock. The cardstock acts as a buffer between the possibly (more than likely) acidic packaging paper and my photo. When in doubt, you can always use a spray adhesive to ensure whatever you're adding to your layout is acid free. Krylon makes a spray called Make It Acid Free.

Now my layout isn't exactly like the sketch, but that's the fun thing about sketches! They are great starting points for cards or layouts and allow you to stretch your creative muscle a little bit. As long as your design still resembles the originial sketch, you're good! ;) At least that's what I tell myself.



There's a few details I wanted to point out on this fairly simple layout. First is the journaling. In the sketch I noticed a spiraled edge that I thought would look so cute sponged and inked, with the spiral a little ruffled. I also used a stamp to create the lines. The journaling reads:

Tee Ball 2008

Brady - I {heart} this picture of you! It shows your focus and determination, and your "tough" face. Keep it up B!

Instead of buttons on the side, I used some corduroy brads to keep with the brown feel. I love this accent on the sketch and was happy with how it turned out!


Next is a little stitching detail at the bottom right of the page. When trying to decide what picture(s) to use with this sketch I noticed the stitch marks right away and thought of the stack of tee ball pics I still have of Brady to scrapbook. The brown paper packaging worked perfectly to give a grungy look to my layout, and I love the addition of the mini stitches to mimic a baseball!



The top right corner also has a few stitches in it. I folded my ribbon over and secured with glue dots first. Then I went back and added my three mini stitches. And look at that cute (ahem tough) face! ;) I can't even begin to tell you how much this kid cracks me up and melts my heart. He has the funniest/cutest faces and says the funniest/cutest things.



Here's a closer shot of the stitches. On both the top and bottom of the ribbon I secured it with staples. I love how such a small detail makes this even more a "boy" layout.




I hope this has inspired you to make a "Green" layout of your own! If you want to play along with this sketch, post it to your blog and then leave a comment on the CIG page so we can all take a look!

ETA: Deanne is offering a prize pack! See the CIG blog for more deets! Link up your project to the blog for any of the three challenges and you'll be entered to win!

Supplies
GREEN Item:
brown paper packaging
CS: Chocolate Chip, Kraft
DSP: DCWV
Stamp: Journaling Lines (SU)
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Misc: Ek Success Embossed Curve border punch, Chocolate Chip corduroy brads, staples, Chocolate Chip double stitched grosgrain ribbon, dmc floss, spiral punch, Opposites Attract cartridge,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buy levitra online canada
buy