Monday, December 7, 2009

November Pubs

Hi everyone! Since its December I can share some cards with you that were in the November CARDS magazine, and the Scrapbook Trends Christmas Cards idea book!


First, I wanted to tell you about my publishing journey for anyone out there wanting to get published, or who was ever curious about being published. It was clear back in February that I received a CARDS magazine as a freebie for signing up for a class at my local scrapbook store. I thought, hey, I would love to see some of my cards in a magazine, but at that time I wasn't too serious about it. It was in June that I thought about being published again. It was about 10pm and I went to the submission link I'd looked at months ago, and it turned out that night at midnight was the deadline. I quickly made up a card that night and submitted it along with one other card. I freaked out the next evening when I got the acceptance email that the card I'd made the night before was going to be published! It was like an adrenaline rush getting that email, so over the next few months I kept making and submitting cards. Some cards I made for one reason or another ended up being part of the submission requests anyways, so that was nice and I just sent them along. I was so very fortunate and so honored to have a few more of my cards featured in the magazines.


I've decided to take a little break from the "publishing world" for now though. I had a goal to get published in a print magazine and I succeded. Last month I didn't have anything picked up, and although a little sad, it's not the end of the world. ;) I realized I was putting this huge amount of pressure on myself, and I wasn't having as much fun as I used to when making cards, which was probably showing in my work! I had also been so focused on card making that I let my first paper crafting love of scrapbooking fall to the side. So, I'll still watch for the calls, but I won't burn myself out trying to make cards just for the call, or lose my love of paper crafting along the way. ;) If anyone out there is thinking about getting their work published, just do it! Submit! You never know what will be picked, and they might pick you! However, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If you really want it, it will happen! Keep submitting, but remember to have fun in the process and remain true to yourself!



Featured in Scrapbook Trends Christmas Cards Idea Book


Featured in November CARDS magazine

1 comment:

Pren said...

i LOVE these cards. the christmas one is so cute.