Friday, December 4, 2009

Just Buggin #14!

Wow, can you believe its December already?! Each month I keep wondering where the last month went, and this month is no different! Are you in full holiday mode, or are you waiting a little bit longer to put up those decorations? Are you still finding crafty time in this midst of holiday planning and chaos? ;)

Today I have a project to share with you that went up on the Just Buggin' blog today for Challenge #14. The challenge this week is to use layers! This is my off week, but I love these challenges so much that I have to play along! ;)


Challenge #14 - Use at least two die cuts and layer them together. (for instance, cut out flowers in two different sizes and layer them on top of eachother, two snowflakes, etc)


I had a lot of fun with this challenge as I've always used the Shadow feature, but never cut a bigger size and just layered it! Of course I had a to think a bit, and decide what images would work for me, and what I wanted to use those layers on. I may over think things (ok all the time I over think things, ha!), but I love being able to "hatch a plan" and then get to work. Sometimes the idea works perfectly, but other times I find my idea evolves into something entirely different. This layout is exactly a case of the other times! I started with a basic idea, but it took off from there, and I love it!




My tip on the blog - To make layers stand out more, give them some dimension with ink and lift the edges of each layer.


So my layer on this project is the pom poms! I cut them out at 2 and 2 1/2 inches, and after inking and lifting the edges I secured them together with adhesive in the center only. The star however, has a shadow behind it. The star was on George, and the pom poms are from Locker Talk.


Just a fun tip when working on layouts - If you are working with double sided paper, flip it over and use the other side as well! This will bring contrast to your page while keeping the colors and feel of the layout consistent! The black and white pom poms are the reverse side of the star and side strip.


This layout is for the Scrap Sketch #184 sketch except I turned it sideways. This was a fun sketch to use and play with the pics of Gwynie! This is also my 101st scrapbook page for the year! Yay! I am still sooooo far behind, but its one page at a time! ;)



So are you ready to make a project using layers with your Cricut?! Come join us on the Just Buggin blog and post your link until midnight EST on December 9th!



Supplies
CS: Basic Black
DSP: Scrappin Sports, The Paper Company, MME, DCVW
Ink: Basic Black
Misc: chipboard letters - Scenic Route and American Crafts, Locker Talk and George cartridges, scallop scissors, CM circle cutter

5 comments:

Lynne said...

I love the pom poms!! I like the colors too!! I think red, black, and white look awesome together!!

Ladybug Designs said...

yay! very cute

Mindy (Scrappy and Piggy) said...

Great layout!!!! I love how graphic looking it is.

The Adventure of Linds and Lyds! said...

Great job! I love how the red makes everything pop. Love that included the sketch!

JustCrazy4Scrapen said...

Kandi,

Nice layout. Love it!

Lisa
JB-DT