Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy Birthday (to me)!

Today is MY BIRTHDAY! I'm always asked how I feel about having my birthday so close to Christmas, and especially on New Years Eve. Honestly, my parents made sure everything was kept seperate so I always had plenty to go around! ;) They would even take all the ornaments off the Christmas tree and decorate it with balloons and streamers! That's probably one of my fondest memories of growing up, actually. I knew my parents wanted to make my day special and they always did! They never went out on New Years Eve either, even though I told them it didn't matter to me, haha! My husband also makes sure I'm treated extra special on my birthday too, thanks babe! I always say that everyone celebrates my birthday too...you didn't know it, but really you are! Cause I'm a cool kid, and you're all celebrating that I'm here!

So this year I decided that since its been well over 10 years that I've had a "birthday tree" I would do one for myself! ;) Here it is! This one is for you Mom and Dad! :D





Tonight we'll be ringing in the New Year and celebrating my birthday with a few friends. We'll be playing Rock Band, drinking and eating, and wearing our PJ's the whole time! ;) An idea that came up at my Christmas Party so we all said we'd do it, haha! My amazing friend Sharon made some invites with the Cricut cartridge Paper Dolls to make the dolls in their pj's holding stamped champagne glasses! Take a look at her blog for the awesome invites she made! See why I love my friends?!! :)


Also, since I'm feeling in the birthday mood, how about some birthday cards?! These are all from the You Know You're Getting Old set from Skipping Stones Design.

So I'm not sure what my favorite saying in this set is because I keep laughing every time I read them! ;) This one totally cracks me up! You'd never guess from the outside what it will say! I colored in the sandals with my Copics (going back over with the Colorless blender to soften them) and then added a rhinestone in the center for some bling. This set comes with the two flip flops (oops sorry thongs, ha!) but they aren't connected which is perfect for positioning them any way you want them! I love that feature! I stuck the first one right side up on my clear block, but the other I flipped. So each time I stamped they stayed in the same place making it super easy to make my own little border!


And then this hilarious saying on the inside! I choose to position both flip flops in the upright position so that it would pair well with the sentiment. I actually put all four stamps on one block and stamped it all at once. This is a great time saver if you are making several cards!


When I saw this next sentiment I knew I wanted to play around with the words, and do a notebook type theme. I had a mini composition book that I ripped out a single sheet and punched it with my spiral punch from SU. Then I added a mini libray clip and got that notebook look I was going for! A few brads and a black bow (you know like over the hill and to go with the black book saying, hehe) and I was done! It was such a simple card but I think whoever I give this to will just love it!




This last card was a fun one to make! I wanted to try making a card to show how you can combine the "You know" part with the picture and the saying all in one card front. I love being able to have the funny sentiment on the inside, but sometimes you just want it all on the front! By paper piecing the pillow, and rounding only two corners, it gave this a unique look that makes it stand out. I also added a few rhinestones to the pillow and a little hardware piece for fun.

Do you have anyone you'd love to give a card to from this set to? There are some super funny sayings and I can't wait to use the little car and cake on a card!

Have a Happy New Year!



Supplies

Thong Birthday
CS: So Saffron, Pretty in Pink, Whisper White
Ink: Basic Black
Stamp: You Know You're Gettin Old - Skipping Stones Design
Misc: Celery grosgrain, scallop border punch, gemstones


Little Black Book
CS: Certainly Celery DSP: SU Prints Pack II
Ink: Basic Black
Stamp: You Know You're Gettin Old - Skipping Stones Design
Misc: Paper, library clip, black satin ribbon, brads, spiral punch

Happy Hour
CS: Regal Rose, Whisper White
Ink: Basic Black
Stamp: You Know You're Gettin Old - Skipping Stones Design
Misc: Velvet ribbon - American Crafts, corner rounder, gemstones, hardware ribbon slide

5 comments:

Della said...

Happy Birthday Kandi!
Love you,
Momma

Hope said...

Happy Birthday fellow JBDT member! Great birthday tree!! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Chelsea said...

These are great! I love this set!

Barb's Boys said...

Kandi, these cards are so dang cute I can't wait to get my set! Oh, and your tree is fabulous - Happy Birthday! Barb

62 Cards - Sammye Jo said...

Happy birthday girlie!!! Party like a Rock Star :) (By the way, my rock star nows now, are nothing like they were in college,lol)

Have a great one!!! Love the tree!