Monday, December 21, 2009

Create It Green!

As a Mom of two I sometimes sit and think about what the future will be like for my kiddos. I do worry about the future for my kids and eventual grand kids (yikes that's a scary thought!). I want to make sure I'm doing even one small thing to possibly make a brighter future for the next generations. One thing that's a family effort in our house is recycling. The kids know which items to set aside to put in our recycling bin. We have the city pickup every other week, and you can bet we are filling it up with all we can! ;)


As a scrapbooker and cardmaker, I'm trying to make sure I'm pulling my own weight in the recycling arena as well! I save all my scraps of paper to be used in later projects in a scrap pile, and I save the "tossable" scraps to be put in with our normal recyling. Once I found the Create It Green blog, I knew I needed to start incorporating more "green" ideas into my scrapbooking. The idea of reusing, repurposing, and recycling might be a challenge at first, but take a look at things you have on hand and see how you can use it on a layout or card!


I found being Green was easier than I thought, and here's a layout I submitted with their sketch for the DT call. I was so estatic when I got the email that I was invited to be on the DT, and I'm super excited to share some ideas and inspiration with you each month! I received this great news along with my acceptance from Skipping Stones Design (more on that later!) the same day, what a day! Since this is going to be a once a month sketch layout, I know I'll be able to devote my time and attention to both teams, which is great news! :)



These are the GREEN items I used on my layout!

- Pages from an old book


- Buttons from an old shirt


- All paper (aside from the 12x12 sheet) were from my scrap pile



Just a fun tip to get more out of your papers too - I use my Cricut a lot for letters and shapes, but I save the paper negative after its been cut out. There is usually a half to quarter inch left at the top and sides that is perfect for mounting photos on. It already has an edge for your photos, and no one will see the cut out behind your photo! ;)


The little puffy flowers were punched out with my scallop punch, secured with a brad, and then each layer was crinkled starting with the top layer. You can see a little tutorial for these here. The letters were cut out with the Jasmine cartridge.


This was a really fun page to put together and I hope you'll join in on creating Green pages too! They've picked a great Design Team to help share Green ideas in cards, layouts, and altered items so be sure to stop by the blog to check em out! We'll be starting up in January and I already have a long list of "green supplies" that I'm itching to try out!


Supplies
CS: Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla
DSP: Scenic Route, Stampin' Up!
Misc: buttons, linen thread, pearls (The Paper Studio), scallop circle punch, 5 petal flower punch, scallop scissors, hole punch, lace (Bo Bunny), corner rounder, brads, book pages

No comments: