Friday, June 5, 2009

Money Holders!

For some reason I haven't been updating blogs lately. This one and our family one! I got a phone call from my Mom today asking why it had been a month since my last update on our Family Blog, and it hit me. I haven't been great at updating lately! :) So, there are quite a few things I've been working on and have not posted. I also decided that I wanted to make this, my krafty blog, more fun with new stuff more often. I know that feeling of going to a blog and not seeing anything new, so I certainly don't want that happening here! The point of first starting my blog was to basically give myself a visual of the things I've made, etc. but now I'm finding that I want to keep this updated and fun, haha! So hopefully I'll be sticking to this resolution to continue doing a hobby I'm passionate about, as well as share anything that I've made.
First is the Money Card Holder. This would be great for birthday money for teens, or other people like grads that you typically give money to. If you would rather give money for gifts, this is a great way to give a handmade card with it!






Supplies:
CS: Certainly Celery, Rose Red, Night of Navy, Whisper White, So Saffron
DSP: SU Cutie Pie, Chatterbox Small Hall Stripe
Ink: So Saffron, Certainly Celery, Night of Navy
Stamps: Great Grad
Misc: Celery and white grograin, Scallop Punch, Circle punches, Stapler

Measurements for money card holder:

Cut your paper at 6 1/2 x 6 3/4 and then score at 3 1/8 x 6 1/4. Fold and tape side of holder. For the insert cut 6 1/2 x 3. Use a circle punch to cut out the top portion of the holder, and use that same circle for the top insert. Staple, and then slide money under circle tab. Super easy and cute, and really quick!

I found this last year and LOVED the idea, but of course it takes me pushing myself to actually try anything new! The only thing lacking in the picture...is cash in the top! Neither my hubs or I hardly ever carry cash...so you will just have to pretend and imagine its there! This is a Men's Billfold made completely out of paper! The original creator of this cool card is Lorri Heiling. You can see her full tutorial on her blog, but I have taken her instructions and included them here. This would also be so, so, so cute if it was in pinks and blinged out with gemstones and rhinestones and fru-fru stuff for a girl. I can just picture the one I'd make for my daughter on her birthday now! :D Oh, and actually, my husband saw this sitting on the counter after I had taken the picture and said, "Why did you buy me a brown wallet? You know I like black." LOL! Then he realized, and said that it was pretty freakin cool.




Supplies:

CS: Close to Cocoa

Ink: Chocolate Chip

Stamps: All Holidays

Misc: Sponge Dauber, Brown marker, paper piecing template

Instructions:

Dimensions of wallet

Piece 1 Outside of wallet 9 x 3 1/2 - round all 4 corners
Piece 2 Inside piece of wallet 8 1/2 x 3 1/4


Cut 2 of each of the following dimensions (listed below), one for each side of the wallet

Piece 3 Layer of wallet to hold gift cards (middle piece) 4 1/4 x 1
Piece 4 Layer of wallet (front and top piece) 4 1/4 x 2


After each part above is cut out, sponge all the edges in choclate chip with a dauber. (Sponge daubers can be found at most craft stores, let me know if you need more info or pictures!) You can also use a craft sponge, but the dauber works best to give it a leathery look.

Score Piece 1 at 4 7/16 and 4 9/16. I know that sounds like a DETAILED number. Because the wallet gets thick after you put the gift cards in, you have to make scores so the wallet CAN be thicker. That will give you a 1/8 binding that will allow the wallet to be thicker.

Then pierce the edges of Piece 1 with the paper piercer and guide. Then "faux stitch" by making a line with a black pen across each hole. I faux stitched on both sides of this part of the wallet.

Make the patch with whatever stamp you want. Faux stitch again, and then distress it with scissors. (rake scissor edge along it to give it a rough edge.)Tape this to the front.

The inside layer has 3 parts to it. The first layer is Piece 2 above. Score this piece at 4 1/4. Set this on your table. Then layer Piece 3 (dimensions listed above). Tape JUST THE VERY OUTSIDE EDGES.

Then layer Piece 4 on top of that, this time gluing on the 2 outside edges and bottom edge. Just make sure to watch your tape so that you leave enough room for a gift card! ;)

Next tape this whole piece to the inside of the wallet, on the outside edges and bottom edge. This will create the pocket and allow you to put money inside.

No comments: